Updates every few days on my backpacking tour of Europe, pictures included!

Monday, June 06, 2005

Scoooooooooter

Yes!
I finally rented my scooter. 40€ for 24 hours. It is soooooooo much fun. By the way, if anyone is interested in an adventure, try Roman traffic! It is very reminiscient of Mexico, but not quite that horrible. I didn't really see any sites except for the Coloseum today, because I got myselft horribly and utterly lost. I just started driving around the city, hoping to come across cool stuff. Well, at one point I was on a freeway (with a scooter!!!) heading towards the airport, then I left Rome on the opposite side and had to stop at like 30 gas stations to ask directions back to Rome. Finally, when I found the train station (from which I know my way home) it started raining. I just got back now; I'm taking advantage of this free internet thing to tell you about it while it's still fresh in my mind.

It's so cool scooting around trough little residential areas. The roads are more empty and you can go flying through little round streets and traffic circles. You really start to drive like a Roman when you get used to it. "When in Rome..." finally applies literally to something! Before you know it, you are cutting in and out of traffic, moving between cars, dodging pedestrians (see below), and so forth.

The way walking across a street works in Rome is this. The cars will not stop untill you start walking. This means you just have to walk into an active street, and the cars will slow down. The scooters (there are tons) mostly don't stop, they just swirve around you.

Anyways, I still have it untill 2PM tomorrwo. I will take a break now, and later in the evening I will take some of the girls from the hostel out for rides! Good old having a bike.

By the way, I have already decided my next trip (I actually decided this a few weeks ago); as soon as I get back I will make my motorcycle license. Then, when I get some time (hopefully within the next year or two), I will do a one or two month road trip through the states.

Anyways, I have to go. Free internet means 15 mintues free internet.

later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Pascal.
At first: Your parents are right,this is the best European Adventure Trip Diary i have ever seen and remember i life in Europe. I can´t wait to read new storys and see new pics.
Have fun with driving around with your Scooter.
See You Marlene, Dieter, Marcel & Denise

Mon Jun 06, 10:53:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, motorcycle license aha ?
You should think about buying a scooter in Victoria, you could probably ride it there all year long and I am sure it works with the girls in Victoria too. We told you about the Italien traffic were we right or what? Imagine driving a car it's even worse. The worst for us was Neapel. Be careful and have lots more fun

Mon Jun 06, 11:35:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home