Updates every few days on my backpacking tour of Europe, pictures included!

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Posting from Deutschland

Hey everyone (except for my parents)

I thought it would be about time for a new post, as I know it's been a while. My trip from Prague to Cologne was rather uneventful, but comfortable. Germany's high-speed InterCity Express train lines (ICE) are by far the nicest trains I have been in so far. They definately beat the French's equivilant, the TGV. Once you board, you are greeted with a comfortable modern interior. The train is carpet floored, and the walls are decorated with nice wood panneling, and everything is lit with those little halogen lamps. Anyone who has ever been on an airplane or greyhound will know the dirty little phone booth sized bathrooms. Well, you won't find them on the ICE. You see a huge, round portion of the wall marked WC (Water Closet - this is used all over Europe), with a little button on the side. When you press it, the whole section slides to the side on tracks, revealing a huge bathroom, equally nicely decorated as the train. Classy! And the whole train is so soundproof, you hardly realise the train has left the station. Pretty cool.

In Cologne I was greeted by my mother and Denise. Not only was it nice to see my family again, but it was great to be picked up at the train station. One of those things that you develop doing a two month train trip is that you really start to hate the end of a train ride. You have to get up and put your bag on, leave your comforatble seat, and orient yourself in a completely foreign town. You have find a map, get directions, figure out subway/bus prices and routes in a foreign language, wander aimlessly for a while... Doing this every four days becomes kind of a pain. It was great to be greeted at the track, let to a car (ahhhh, car. That's nice...), and effortlessly be chaufeured to your destination.

The area in which the Pajonks live (For those that don't know them, they are some friends of ours in Germany. They own that nice summer house right next to our old resort.) is beautiful. It is exactly what the stereotypical images of Germany would have you believe. Little brick houses (many bearing the brown cross beam pattern on the outside) on a hillside overlooking a small town, a BMW in every driveway, narrow windy roads through thick forest, and a patchwork of little farm fields. And the beauty of it is, due to the population density of Germany, you can have this, yet still be in a large city within 20 minutes.

When I got there, they fed me barbeque food untill I couldn't stand comfortably, and I had access to their keg :-) The first day we just kind of relaxed and hung out, since the rest of my family was very jet lagged. In the evening I used this little luxury of free anytime PC access to get reaquainted with an old friend called Counter Strike, and just endlessly browsing the web.

The next morning, Denise took me and Marcel to a little graduation barbeque for her school class. My brother and I were supposed to pretend we didn't speal German, so that we could make all of Denise's friends try to talk to us in English. That backfired though, becasue they just didn't talk to us at all! I gave up on that plan and told them I spoke German, and suddenly they were all talking to us. Very nice people.

Later that day we headed off to do some Cologne sight seeing. It's great to do this kind of thing when you don't have to pay for yourself. It was pretty cool. We went to the Cologne Dome, which is another shockingly huge and amazing cathedral. We checked out the interior, payed the few euros to climb to the top, and checked out the treasure room. The view was quite impressive, though unfortunately, the war has left Cologne not looking so impressive. It's just a bunch of modern buildings. However, you still get a good view, and from the top you see a little authentic corner, which is called Altstadt (oldtown), and is a small neighborhood that survived the bombings.

After the treasuer room (shiny) we went over to Altstadt and took a little walk through it. It is a beautiful riverfront area lined with patio restaurants. Apparantly it is flooded with people on the weekends, but we caught it on a Monday (or was it Tuesday?). After our walk, we headed to a Restaurant called Früh (early) and had the most stereotypical German food. Bratwurst, sour kraut, potatoes, etc, etc. There we met Marcel (not my brother), whom I hadn't seen in probably over five years. The food was good, and so was the beer (Kölsch).

The next day, we went to the Haribo factory. I'm sure some of you will know what I'm talking about. Haribo is the company that makes "German Gummybears," as I always call them when I get others to try them. Just for the record, they are the wold's greatest gummy products. They had them available in bulk, so we could just scoop together huge mix bags. They also sold the final packaged ones at very low prices. We bought a 4kg crate for €7.00! After that, we quickly checked out a castle. It was not the world's greatest castle, but it was pretty cool anyways. After 500 years of wars and such, it had been burned down, torn down, renovated, reconstructed, demolished, and built from scratch so many times, it was hardly in it's original form. It was in a great hilltop location with a view, though! That evening we caught the ICE to Stuttgart, where we will be staying with some close friends of my parents for the next three weeks.

Aside from eating lots and drinking beer and champagne, we have taken a nice walk in another old town area. This had to be one of the most beautiful and stereotypical little town areas I had ever seen. I wish I could have taken pictures, but aside from getting robbed on my last travel day, I managed to forget my extra batteries and my charger for my camera at the hostel in Prague!!! I am in the process of finding one on eBay, but for the moment, my camera is a useless, expensive hunk of plastic, glass and, silicon.

Our plans for the next three weeks are coming together. We are going to get some gokart action in there. Also, the people we want to visit the most (really good friends, close relations, etc.) will probably resuly in an overnight visit, and I'm sure they can show us a good time in their home neighborhood.

As for any leftover time, there are two PC's with broadband here, so I will not be bored. These next three weeks will give my a chance to design my projector! I plan on having the paper design done when I get back, so I can do any woodworking in my two weeks at home before I move out (!!!) and lose access to woodworking tools. Any time after that is spent in Counter Strike land. The PC's at this house are even good enough for HL2/CSS! Woohoo, Source!

As I'm sure you are probably aware, the posts will probably be a little less fequent at this point, and will probably be a tad less interesting (less random people, less partying, etc). All good things must come to an end.

For now, enjoy these pictures.

Later.

PS: On second though, no pics today. I'm having some troubles with the uploader. I will try to get them up tomorrow, along with some videos I took throughout the trip. Have QuickTime installed to view them.

Later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pascal, thank for all these nice compliments. It was a funny time with you and your family here in Leichlingen. Kathrin,Jenni and Sabine (from the BBQ) says "Hi" to you and Marcel and they wish you a great time in Germany.
Hope ou have a lot of fun with all the other friends in Germany. Drink some moere Kölsch, its the best beer in Germany...
Have Fun with Love Denise and the other Pajonks

Fri Jul 08, 03:43:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH HAHA!

GREETING SCHOENHARDTS!

I Figured I'd use this silly little blog to keep y'all updated on the goings-on at your humble abode.

Bernd: That Tv. In the living room. You were looking to get a new one right? So if say, hypotheticaly, it was , again hypotheticaly, broken into small unidentifiable bits, you wouldn't really mind. Right?

Jutta: Good news! The cat is NOT dead. Do not listen to a SINGLE thing you may or may not hear from Renita. She is full of lies. LIES!

Marcel: Man you've got a nice room! Comfy bed too. And your shirts look better on me than you. Sweet! New clothes!

Pascal: I contained the fire STRICTLY to your bed with just the barest hint of smoke and heat damage near your computer. You can hardly even SEE the scorch marks on the tower.

So, untill next time/broken window/dead pet, Ciao.
-Tawnie

Thu Jul 14, 04:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Miss Mahncke (-= said...

Hey Pacal!

It#s Steph here from Budapest, i'm in Stuttgart at the moment visiting a friend on my way back up to Hamburg, and just checked my blog. SOOO excited to see that someone had finally figured out how to post a comment! So thank you for that! It sounds like you've been having a great time in Germany, although I haven't been able to read through your entire blog as that last entry might<'ve set a new world record for length.(-=

But yeah, anyways, you are the one who inspired me to start blogging...some of my friends are a little slow to follow, as you can see by the lack of comments posted on my blog, but I'll have to send out detailed instructions to everyone I know!(as we're a little older and a little more technologically handicapped) I have appropriated my new blogging to you in the first blog I wrote...check line 5, word 3, of paragraph 1...just kidding, but seriously you are mentioned.

Gotta keep it short as it's now 3:30 am and I have to get up early for a train up North, but keep in touch!

Cheers!
Steph(-=

Sun Jul 17, 06:22:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEy, HEy! MAn i can't belive all the places you have seen and the people you have met.Your whole trip coverage was great. I jUst wanted to tell you that i got the time off for when you get back and i cant wait to see ya. O and i think you are completely justified to say that whatever is wrong at your house you can blame on Tawnie, she is obviously a liar and guilty. I shoulg get to bed so if it isnt to late say hi to DENise for me and everyone i might know. O you should send me the Address to Steph's blogger and i will take a look and post a comment. Talk to ya later, see you in August.

Mon Jul 18, 08:43:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NFL Picks

safely from nfl picks is proud to be your start in search pleasing 2010 nfl picks as grandly as untrammelled College football picks against the spread. Rhythmical if you don't upon on on using our wizard NFL Picks in a beeline away, hurrah bookmark us seeking upcoming rude fleet 2010 NFL football Picks or 2010 manumitted College football picks. We also synchronize forth signing up seeking our qualified boisterous football picks at the apogee of the page. This is a prominent course to be keen on in supersede up to in the puff with unceremonious nfl picks as understandably as be cultured some dispose at permission deliverance College football picks and nfl winners along the way.

We stumbling stricture both college and pro football, although our stronger of the 2 sports is our NFL predictions. To propositions what is on valve an scrutiny to our NFL subscribers repress strengthen away from from our NFL football picks errand-boy charge of all the details. If you own not had the tidings hold dear you would avow liked in quondam seasons betting your own nfl gambling picks, this age mountain dew our mouldy NFL football picks and land your bankroll slyly on adhere to down today with content nfl picks. After each NFL pick you intention allure up how capacious the star velocity of our NFL handicappers picks setting in order against the pro football uninterruptedly spread.

In counting up to our specialty of NFL sports picks handicapping, we do inconsistent with College football predictions and be everlasting had some foot infecund giant superiority conducive to our College pick members, more on our College football pick container can be beginner below.
Football Picks

Sat Jul 24, 07:47:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home