Updates every few days on my backpacking tour of Europe, pictures included!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Auschwitz

Hey everyone,

This is a quick update. I went to the Auschwitz Concentration Camp today. I don't really know what to think of the place.

It seems like it is both shocking and underwhelming at the same time. Shocking because obviously everyone knows what went on there. To see the size of the place, and the living conditions, and to hear the number of people that passed through there is quite amazing, but I was expecting more of a shock.

The thing is, when you are there, it is really hard to picture it all. When someone tells you that 1.5 million people died here, that numebr is so large, you can't really picture that many dead people. There's a word I'm looking for for that case, when something is so large, you can't really picture it in any relevant ways. When you are there, you just see a bunch of buildings.

I really find that the movies are much more impressive/though evoking/powerful. You actually see the acts taking place and you actually see the quality of life. When you go into a real life gas chamber you are expecting something stunning, somehow. All it really is is a big, square, concrete room like a million basements I've seen before, except with two little holes in the top.

Anyways, I have to go, people want onto this PC. 50 members of a church choir just showed up at this hostel, and it's packed now.

Later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pascal, welcome to Germany. Ok Auschwitz is not a place we love to remember (see second world war) but ok, History is History.
I am very happy to see you next week here in Leichlingen, hope we find a mention in your journey diary. So have fun in Germany. See you next Monday.
Love Denise and the other 3 PajonkĀ“s

Thu Jun 30, 02:51:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes some time to sink in. Auschwitz I mean. It will never leave you , together with the experience of the ghetto. For example I used to laugh about racial jokes when I was younger but I just can't anymore. Looking forward to meeting up with you again in Koeln.

Thu Jun 30, 05:16:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah was typing in the name column. Anyway, ya that is some crazy stuff, can't really imagine what it would be like. Anyway cant wait to see ya i August. Pretty cool to think that all of you are meeting up soon. Hi Denise if you happen to read this, and if you remeber me. HAHA anyway talks to yas laterz.

Fri Jul 01, 02:01:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geraldo: ( up arrow)

Fri Jul 01, 02:02:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home