Updates every few days on my backpacking tour of Europe, pictures included!

Thursday, May 05, 2005

McInternet

Well, I'm in London.

And it costs lots.

Train ride to the city: 12£
Tax ride to hostel: 12£
24£ = $61.27 Cdn.

I took the taxi because I had no idea where to go, and the underground is closed at 4:30 AM. But I hope I won't have to that again, since I know somewhat where I am now.

Oh well, London is one of the most expensive parts of Europe, and I'm leaving it tonight, so it should be OK. I've figured out how to get to the station for my "rail and sail" ticket to Amsterdam. I am really looking forward to my first real stop, since for the last few days, it's been sleeping in a different hostel, and dragging my heavy bag with me during the day. I will finally be in one place for a few days, which will give me a chance to actually explore and party.

Currently I am wiriting this from an Internet McDonalds. Strange combination, yes. Fine European cuisine indeed. No pictures today, unfortunately. The computers at this "cafe" are built into the table, so I can't get to the USB ports. Oh well, all I have so far is a picture of a street on which the hostel resides.

Lots of little cars here, but nice ones. Little BMWs and such. There are also those weird little new cars that have the front end of a mini van, but cut straight off after the driver seat.

Anyways, I got here with little to no problems (well I walked up and down 2 incorrect hills with my backpack in Vancouver looking for the hostel), so if all goes well tonight (I am a little unclear on the location of the hostel near Amsterdam) then the next few days should be great.

I hope I can post some pictures soon.

Later

4 Comments:

Blogger Pascal said...

I just noticed that the blogger says I posted this at 5 in the morning. Not true. I guess time zones mess it up or something. It's actually 1:44 Pm

Thu May 05, 05:45:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi pascal
those little cars are called 'smart' yes, Europe is expensive. From now on your Eurorail pass should cover the cost of transportation at least. Have fun Jutta and Bernd and Marcel (internet Mc Donalds a dream come true for Marcel)

Thu May 05, 11:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun man, carrying your bag up those large hills :D My cousin actually told me to look up those "smart" cars a while back, have you seen any of the convertables? haha, they look funny as all get out.

Hope to see pictures soon.

Thu May 05, 07:32:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel safe :-) Yer ex boss. A.

Thu May 05, 08:24:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home